During BC Craft Beer Month, the province’s craft breweries are serving up a wide variety of harvest-themed beers that are perfect for fall. We highlight 70 for you below!
Many breweries work with local farms to use freshly harvested hops — the resulting fresh hop or wet hop beers are unique to the season so this is the only time of year when you can taste them. Some breweries celebrate the traditions of Oktoberfest with Märzens or Festbiers. Others incorporate unusual ingredients to celebrate the harvest, and then, of course, there is also the connection to Hallowe’en with pumpkin beers and other spooky creations.
Look for these BC fall beers at your favourite local liquor store or taphouse, or directly at the brewery.
EXPLORE BC Peach Farmhouse Ale (4.8% ABV | 18 IBU)
This special beer is a collaboration between six breweries from across British Columbia. BC peaches present a beautiful golden-orange colour, while the Lærdal Kveik yeast and BC hops provide fruity, floral flavours above a clean rounded malt base that elevates the whole beer. Lastly, a pinch of BC sea salt makes this ale sparkle. This limited edition Peach Farmhouse Ale is a true representation of our province that pairs perfectly with BC’s natural beauty.
Do Good Hazy IPA (6.5% ABV | 40 IBU)
This Hazy IPA was brewed in collaboration with all of Penticton’s 8 craft breweries to celebrate the 4th annual Penticton Beer Week. It was brewed with Citra and Mosaic hops and dry hopped with Spectrum. This is a limited release, fundraiser beer. Partial proceeds will go to support the great work of the Dragonfly Pond Family Society.
Chilliwack Common (5% ABV | 18 IBU)
Brewed collectively by Chilliwack’s six local breweries, this Golden Lager is mildly hoppy and brimming with toasted malt and caramel malt flavour — alongside a finish that can best be described as outdoorsy.
Chilliwack is part of the Fraser Valley Ale Trail.
Nightmare Fuel Black IPA by Ace Brewing (6.5% ABV | 57 IBU)
Lightning crashed and thunder boomed! An ominous, dark presence is approaching to pull you into its grasp. You will never be the same again. This storm and this beer are not like the rest. Dark in colour but dripping with citrus, pine, berries and stone fruit, Nightmare Fuel will truly haunt your dreams (in a good way).
Ace Brewing can be found on the Vancouver Island Part II Ale Trail.
Brown Pow! Kootenay Brown Ale by Backroads Brewing (5.2% ABV | 53 IBU)
This dry-hopped brown ale features rich chocolate and caramel notes balanced by an assertive citrus and pine nose with hints of mandarin orange and honeydew melon. Starts with a clean and understated bitterness and finishes with nothing but smooth and fruity chocolate goodness. Loosely based on a Cascadian Dark Ale, it is a celebration of the best time of year for riding bikes in the Kootenays!
Backroads Brewing can be found on the Kootenay Rockies West Ale Trail.
Pecan Pie Nut Brown Ale by Counterflow Brewing [brewed at Bad Tattoo Brewing] (5.2% ABV | 15 IBU)
This beer is pecan pie in a can. Combining the rich flavours of a classic Nut Brown Ale with the smooth sweetness of buttered pecan, Counterflow’s Pecan Pie Nut Brown Ale is the perfect complement for your Thanksgiving cornucopia.
Bad Tattoo Brewing can be found on the Penticton Ale Trail.
Farm. Fresh. Hop. IPA by Barnside Brewing (5.3% ABV | 15 IBU)
This IPA combines the massive flavours and aromas of Barnside’s own Cascade and Chinook hops with both grains and yeast all sourced on their farm. Over the past year they have been working with a yeast strain isolated and propagated from their Chinook cones, lovingly named “Hoppy Cone Surfer.” The result? A truly unique, 100% Barnside Fresh Hop, highlighting the best of what they grow with over 500 lbs of FRESH hops. And when they say FRESH, they mean it — 20 minutes from field to kettle!
Barnside Brewing can be found on the South of the Fraser Ale Trail.
Two Oktoberfest-themed lagers from BNA Brewing:
- Festbier (5.6% ABV | 16 IBU) A light, German-style lager representative of what’s served at the modern Oktoberfest.
- Helles Bock (5.9% ABV | 20 IBU) A stronger, maltier lager that is amber gold hued with a predominantly caramel aroma and a touch of herbal hops on the nose.
BNA Brewing can be found on the Kelowna & West Kelowna Ale Trail.
4 Fall-themed beers from Camp Brewing:
- Fall Camp Smoked Amber Ale (5.6% ABV) Lightly smoked with a malty smoothness that’ll take you back to sitting next to the fire at your favourite campground.
- Wet Coast Fresh hopped IPA (6.8% ABV) A golden wet hop ale made with the freshest Simcoe & Mosaic hops delivered straight to the tank.
- Crimson Crush (5/1% ABV) A crisp and dry champagne-like beer that is brewed with Mandarina Bavaria hops, fresh cranberry juice and sweet orange peel.
- Lagerkoller Vienna Lager (5% ABV) Brewed with premium imported German malt and hops to create a dry and crushable drink.
Camp Brewing can be found on the Langley Ale Trail.
Two Autumn beers from Cannery Brewing:
- Fresh Hop West Coast IPA (6.5 % ABV | 45 IBU) This classic West Coast IPA was brewed with fresh Centennial and Cascade hops from Northwest Hops Farms in Chilliwack.
- Zombie Cocktail Inspired Sour (6% ABV | 20 IBU) Zombie is a tropical sour inspired by the heavy hitting tiki cocktail, the Zombie with notes of rum, falernum, pineapple, passionfruit and lime.
Cannery Brewing can be found on the Penticton Ale Trail.
Fresh Coast – Fresh Hop IPA by Container Brewing (6% ABV)
Highlights of fresh grapefruit hop flavour with an undercurrent of dank earthy pine are complemented by a smooth clean bitterness and deep woods forest aromas all via Fresh Chinook hops.
Container Brewing can be found on the Yeast Vancouver Ale Trail.
Three Autumn beers from Copper Brewing:
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Nitro Stout (7% ABV) Yes, pumpkin spice, and yes, coffee all in a nitro stout.
- Mystery Milkshake (5.5% ABV) Guess the fruit(s) — there could be one or many! — in this beer to get entered into a draw for a $350 prize pack!
- S’mores Stout (7% ABV | 20 IBU) Copper added marshmallows, graham cracker and Lindt chocolate into this beer.
Copper Brewing can be found on the Kelowna & West Kelowna Ale Trail.
Wet-Hopped Blonde by Dageraad Brewing (7.5% ABV)
Dageraad’s classic Belgian-style blonde brewed with fresh Centennial hops grown by the Sartori family in Chilliwack. They are added to the kettle the same day they’re harvested, giving the Wet-hopped Blonde juicy, herbaceous BC hop notes that truly blend our Belgian inspiration with West Coast brewing sensibilities.
Dageraad Brewing can be found on the North of the Fraser Ale Trail.
Vanilla Coffee Porter by Dead Frog Brewery (7.5% ABV)
A rich and creamy porter with flavours of fresh roasted coffee and a sweet hint of vanilla. Brewed with fresh medium roast Columbian coffee beans from Spent Grounds Coffee Roasters in South Surrey.
Dead Frog Brewery can be found on the Langley Ale Trail.
187 Oktoberfestbier by Faculty Brewing (5.5% ABV | 25 IBU)
Celebrating Faculty’s 6th birthday and the 187th Oktoberfest, this golden German-style lager is inspired by beers consumed in one-litre steins in Munich during the second half of September. A delicately sweet and floral malt profile is the star of the show here, supported by a super clean fermentation profile and subtle European noble hops.
Faculty Brewing can be found on the Vancouver – Brewery Creek Ale Trail.
Three Autumn beers from Farm Country Brewing:
- Blackberry Pear Sour (5% ABV) Packed with tons of blackberries and pears, the fruity flavour in this brew is powerful.
- Dark Horse (5% ABV | 20 IBU) Black as night with notes of chocolate and molasses yet light in body with a clean crisp finish — the perfect brew to kick off dark beer season.
- Sausage Party (5% ABV | 22 IBU) This smooth, clean pale lager has a delicate malty flavour with light floral hop notes and a golden hue. Prost!
Farm Country can be found on the Langley Ale Trail.
Two Fall beers from Fernie Brewing:
- Ghostrider Pumpkin Brown Ale (5% ABV | 13 IBU) Named after a local Fernie legend, Ghostrider is brewed with pumpkin, spice, and all things nice.
- Ridgewalk Red Ale (5% ABV | 25 IBU) Rich, red, and robust, eight specialty malts go into the making of this classic FBC brew.
Fernie Brewing can be found on the Kootenay Rockies East Ale Trail.
Two Autumn beers from Five Roads Brewing:
- Oktoberfest Märzen (5.5% ABV | 30 IBU) Rich in malt with a balance of clean, hop bitterness, this is a beautiful amber colour and very easy to drink.
- Pumpkin Stout (6.1% ABV | 18 IBU) A bold, smooth stout with delicious fall flavours of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and chocolate.
Five Roads Brewing can be found on the Langley Ale Trail.
Beetlejuice Sour Ale by Foamers’ Folly Brewing (5.5% ABV | 18 IBU)
This vibrant sour has been pumped up by the addition of beetroot, blackberry, and blueberry, creating a puckeringly sour and deliciously juicy beer.
Foamers’ Folly Brewing can be found on the Maple Ridge Ale Trail.
Märzen by Giant’s Head Brewing (5.9% ABV | 20 IBU)
A classic German-style Märzen made with Mt. Hood hops and lagered for two months.
Giant’s Head Brewing is located in Summerland, BC.
Fresh-Hopped Castaway Blonde Ale by Hornby Island Brewing (5.5% ABV)
Our easy-drinking blonde ale with an exclusive blend of Hornby Island grown fresh Centennial, Pacific Jade and Cascade hops. The hops were added to the whirlpool to allow a pure expression of the local terroir.
Hornby Island Brewing is located on Hornby Island, BC.
A classic Pumpkin Ale plus two series showcasing dark beers from Howe Sound Brewing:
Pumpkineater Imperial Pumpkin Ale (8% ABV)
An imperial ale brewed with pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
Robust Porter Series:
- Sea Salt Porter (6.5% ABV) A dusting of sea salt enhances and enriches the malt depth.
- Cherry Porter (6.5% ABV) A healthy dose of cherry puree that layers bright fruit notes in with all of those delicious chocolaty malt flavours.
- Habanero Fudge Porter (6.5% ABV) Cocoa and habanero peppers enhance the natural chocolate notes, and offset it with a lingering spiciness.
Barrel Stout Series:
- Hollow Leg Barrel Aged Stout (6% ABV) Aromas of dark chocolate, oatmeal, rye bread, dried fruits and nuts.
- Storm Watching Barrel Aged Stout (10.4% ABV) With aromas of dark chocolate, honey, biscuit and oak.
- Powder Keg Barrel Aged Stout (10.6% ABV) Conditioned on cold brew coffee from Counter Part coffee — flavours of bourbon, tiramisu, and a hint of cherry.
- Phantom Ship Barrel Aged Stout (10.8% ABV) Silky smooth notes of vanilla bean, sea salt, raisin, cookie dough and bourbon.
Howe Sound Brewing can be found on the Squamish Ale Trail.
Two Autumn beers from Hoyne Brewing:
- Wolf Vine Wet Hopped Pale Ale (5.3% ABV) brewed annually following the fresh hop harvest in September, this is the culmination of a great friendship between Hoyne Brewery and the Hope Bay Hop Farm on Pender Island.
- Svec (6.1% ABV | 18 IBU) A Czech-style half dark lager.
Hoyne Brewing can be found on the Victoria Ale Trail.
Dying Wish by Jackknife Brewing (5% ABV | 35 IBU)
A fresh hopped Nordic IPA showcasing Chinook and Centennial hops, throwing out big hits of spice and citrus, and rounded out with some cryo Ekuanot to give it a little bit more resinous character.
Jackknife Brewing Brewing can be found on the Kelowna & West Kelowna Ale Trail.
2 Autumn beers from Locality Brewing:
- Back to our Roots Ginger Saison (7% ABV | 12 IBU) A spicy, gingery and dry Belgian saison.
- Community Harvest Fresh Hop Sour (5.5% ABV | 10 IBU) This collaboration with Field House Brewing is a refreshingly tart sour with a hint of citrus from grapefruit peel. Brewed with 37 pounds of fresh hops including Cascade, Centennial, Chinook and Wild hops grown at Locality, Field house and CN Rail.
Locality Brewing can be found on the Langley Ale Trail.
Two Autumn beers from Longwood Brewery:
- Full Patch Pumpkin Saison (9% ABV | 30 IBU) This seasonal Belgian-style Saison is not for the faint of heart. Slaughtered pumpkins and a whole lotta spice were boiled in a cauldron of barley, hops and anything else they could find lying around.
- Three Farms Hazy IPA (6.8% ABV | 32 IBU) Made with Island-grown barley from Casawood Farms in Courtenay and hops from Bredenhof Hop Farms and Maple Bay Hop Farm.
Longwood Brewery can be found on the Vancouver Island Part I Ale Trail.
Festa Oktoberfest-Style Lager by Luppolo Brewing (5.5% ABV)
Brewed with a unique blend of malts, noble hops, and Luppolo’s house lager strain. The result is a complex, malty and flavourful yet refreshing amber lager. Enjoy aromas of caramel and toffee leading to flavours of biscuit, graham cracker and honey with a subtle malt sweetness and balanced bitterness.
Luppolo Brewing can be found on the Yeast Vancouver Ale Trail.
Oktoberfest by Moody Ales & Co. (5.9% ABV)
Brewed with entirely German Pilsner and Dark Munich malts, each sip boasts toasty flavours of biscuit and crusty bread.
Moody Ales & Co. can be found on the Port Moody Ale Trail.
Anchor Lights American Amber Ale by New Tradition Brewing (5.5% ABV | 38 IBU)
This amber-hued ale has light caramel notes with an assertive fruity and floral hop aroma and a smooth, rich finish.
New Tradition Brewing can be found on the Vancouver Island Part II Ale Trail.
Oktoberfest Lager by Persephone Brewing (5.8% ABV | 20 IBU)
A traditional strong German-style amber lager with notes of bread crust and toffee that pairs well with a nice wurst from your local butcher.
Persephone Brewing can be found on the Sunshine Coast Ale Trail.
Two Spooky beers from Phillips Brewing:
- Crooked’er Tooth (7.3% ABV) This pumpkin ale is brewed with beautifully roasted malt and then carefully aged in freshly-emptied bourbon barrels for a slightly sweet, gently spiced brew that blends fresh pumpkin flavours with soft velvet vanilla.
- Eclipse Black Velvet Stout (4.5% ABV) This dark roasty stout delivers a pleasant coffee aroma and a silky, bittersweet chocolate malt-forward profile that is deep and complex but sits light and dry on the palate.
Phillips Brewing can be found on the Victoria Ale Trail.
R&B Brewing’s First Ever Pumpkin Beer + Two Fresh Hops:
- Porch Ornament Pumpkin Ale (6% ABV | 20 IBU) Finally, after 25 years, R&B decided to do a Pumpkin Ale! This strong, rich, flavourful pumpkin beer contains pumpkin puree, five different spices, and has a rich velvety palate that tantalizes the tongue with the spices.
- So Fresh & So Green (7% ABV | 45 IBU) A classic west coast IPA dry-hopped with fresh Cashmere from Bredenhof Hop Farm in Abbotsford.
- Freshly Stolen Bike (4.5% ABV | 30 IBU) R&B’s Stolen Bike Lager dry-hopped with fresh Sterling hops from Bredenhof Hop Farm in Abbotsford.
R&B Brewing can be found on the Vancouver – Brewery Creek Ale Trail.
Three Autumn beers from Red Collar Brewing:
- “Hop Comet” Fresh Hop Hazy Pale Ale (6% ABV | 45 IBU) A hazy pale ale brewed with fresh hops from Bredenhof Farms in Abbotsford.
- Marzen Bavarian Lager (5.2% ABV | 28 IBU) A crisp and clean German lager that is lightly hopped with a medium body with hints of honey and malt sweetness.
- Squash Gourdon Pumpkin Ale (6.5% ABV | 20 IBU) A squashing good ale created using locally grown sugar pumpkins from Thistle Farms in Kamloops that brings together the flavours of allspice, nutmeg and ginger in seasonal harmony. Many gourds were smashed in the production of this beer.
Red Collar Brewing can be found on the Southern Interior Ale Trail.
Golden Hour Cranberry Ale by Red Truck Beer Co. (5% ABV | 10 IBU)
A beautiful pink wheat ale that’s loaded with real cranberry, orange and coriander.
Red Truck Beer Co. can be found on the Vancouver – Brewery Creek Ale Trail.
Altbier by Shaketown Brewing (5% ABV)
This collab beer with the team at Rewind Beer Co., which just opened in Port Moody, has a wonderful, freshly baked banana bread nose that leads into flavours of biscuit, light caramel and subtle baking spices with a pronounced, clean bitterness on the finish.
Shaketown Brewing can be found on the Vancouver’s North Shore Ale Trail.
Smashing Pumpkin by Shore Line Brewing (5% ABV | 20 IBU)
An amber ale base made with pumpkin puree, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and vanilla. This limited release is available in the taproom only.
Shore Line Brewing Brewing can be found on the Kelowna & West Kelowna Ale Trail.
Martin Marzen by Small Block Brewing (6.5% ABV | 20 IBU)
This Bavarian Oktoberfest classic is a light bodied, slightly sweet lager that is amber in colour with a rich crackery malt profile. Named for the Martin Mars water bomber that did so much to protect forests and homes on the Island and far beyond.
Small Block Brewing can be found on the Vancouver Island Part I Ale Trail.
Two Autumn beers from Steel & Oak Brewing:
- Zonophone Chocolate Raspberry Porter (6% ABV) Dark malts with additions of oat and rye give a full mouthfeel that provides the perfect bass line for the local raspberry and Tanzanian cocoa nibs sourced from East Van Roasters to stand on.
- Smoked Honey Doppelbock (7.9% ABV) Honey sourced from New Westminster and beechwood-smoked malt add depth to this complex strong German-style that is lagered for eight weeks to fully develop and mature.
Steel & Oak Brewing can be found on the North of the Fraser Ale Trail.
Zinnhaus Vienna Lager by Tinhouse Brewing (5.2% ABV | 25 IBU)
A traditional Oktoberfest beer, this Vienna Lager has a beautiful caramel colour, well-rounded malt profile, and subtle hop bitterness for a very drinkable, balanced beer.
Tinhouse Brewing can be found on the North of the Fraser Ale Trail.
Century Grove Chocolate Espresso Stout by Townsite Brewing (6% ABV)
Named after a local second growth forest south of Powell River, this stout has lovely chocolate notes from the added cacao nibs plus local espresso beans brewed and added from River City Roasters.
Townsite Brewing can be found on the Sunshine Coast Ale Trail.
Two Autumn beers from Trading Post Brewing:
- Festbier (5.9% ABV | 20 IBU) This copper coloured lager uses slightly darker grains to give it a maltier taste and deeper colour than a standard lager.
- Tart Cranberry Ale (5.9% ABV | 7 IBU) This wheat ale is kettle soured with Lactobacillus and features a medium malt body with a bold tart cranberry flavour, perfect for the holiday season.
Trading Post Brewing can be found on the Langley Ale Trail.
Two Fall Releases from Twin City Brewing:
- Pyramid Scheme Hazy Kveik Pale Ale (5.5% ABV | 35 IBU) This pours an opaque hazy straw colour with huge aromas of fresh squeezed citrus cocktail and juicy sticky dankness from copious amounts of Vic Secret, Cryo Citra, and Cryo Mosaic Hops. Voss Kveik yeast brings out the juice esters while keeping hops as the star. This is one juicy hop bomb of a pale ale.
- Postscript Munich Helles Lager (5% ABV | 17 IBU) This crisp Munich-style lager is well-lagered over 6 weeks with a careful balance of subtle cracker-like Pilsner malt and Saaz Hops’ nuanced herbal-spice character.
Twin City Brewing can be found on the Vancouver Island Part II Ale Trail.
Embers Oak-Smoked Porter by Wildeye Brewing (7% ABV)
This luxurious porter is rich and full-bodied — the smoked malts add a delicate touch of balance to this complex brew.
Wildeye Brewing can be found on the Vancouver’s North Shore Ale Trail.